Last updated September 22, 2023.
WHO WE ARE
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and the following sets out the basis on which any personal information we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be used and/or disclosed. Please read the text carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it.
A SPECIAL NOTE TO CHILDREN UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE
YOU MUST BE 13 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER TO REGISTER WITH OUR SITE. PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER OR SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH US IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE. Speak to your parent or guardian (the person who looks after you) to check the site or content first, and then explore it together if they say it’s okay.
A SPECIAL NOTE TO PARENTS
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
(a) From you
We may collect and process personal information relating to you that you provide to us by filling in forms on our site or by you contacting us. This includes, but is not limited to, information provided at the time of registering to use (or become a member of) our site, subscribing to any of our services (e.g. email or SMS newsletters), purchasing downloads or other products, posting material, participating in a contest or opportunity, or requesting further services. If you contact us by email, you’ll be sharing with us your email address, and any other personal information you might include in your message, such as your name, address, place of employment etc. If you enter a Sony Music contest on social media by commenting on an artist’s post or posting using the contest hashtag, we will collect your username, and sometimes your name, to randomly select the winners and contact you via direct message if you are a winner. When you provide us with personal information, we will only use it for the specific purpose for which it is provided.
(b) By using cookies, web beacons or “clickstream data”
Some information may automatically be collected as you browse our site. Our web server automatically collects information known as "clickstream data," such as the domain name of the service providing you with Internet access, the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your browser type and version, operating system and platform, the average time spent on our site, pages viewed, information searched for, access times and other relevant statistics.
In addition, we may use ‘cookies’ to collect information relating to your general internet usage. This information may include IP-addresses, browser version, number of visits and similar such information relating to your navigation of the internet and our site. A ‘cookie’ is a small text file that is placed on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service, for instance by storing information about your preferences and allowing us to recognise you when you return to our site. You may refuse to accept cookies by activating settings on your internet browser. However, please note that if you select such settings you may be unable to access certain parts of our site.
Certain pages on our site may also contain “web beacons” (also known as Internet tags, pixel tags or clear GIFs). Web beacons may allow third parties to obtain non-personally identifiable information such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page containing the beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies set by the third party. We use log files to store the data that is collected through web beacons.
(c) From third parties with your consent
If you choose to use features on our Site (such as pre-save campaigns) that connect to your online profiles or social media accounts, we may collect any information that you permit through your settings on those connected accounts.
TRANSMISSION OF YOUR INFORMATION VIA THE INTERNET
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Any transmission is therefore at your own risk.
Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. We use current industry standard technology to maintain the confidentiality and accuracy of the personal information you provide to us. We periodically review our security measures to ensure the security of your information. However, we cannot guarantee that any information you submit to us will be free from unauthorized third party intrusion.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share the password with anyone.
WHERE YOUR INFORMATION IS KEPT OR TRANSFERRED
The personal information that we collect may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside Canada, for instance if any of our servers or any of our service provider’ servers from time to time are located outside Canada or if one of our service providers or suppliers is located in a country outside Canada or if we share your information (in accordance with this policy).
Where any of those destinations are countries that do not have information protection laws as stringent as those to which we are subject, we will take contractual and/or other means to ensure that your information is only transferred lawfully out of Canada and that it will receive adequate protection with respect to generally recognized principles regarding the protection of personal information. However, in circumstances where your information is transferred out of Canada, it may become available to a foreign government or its agencies under a lawful order made in that country.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use the personal information collected from our site in accordance with this policy for the following purposes:
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- to provide you with information, products or services that you have requested from us.
- where you ask us to send marketing information to you via a medium where we ask for your consent, and you tick the box on the sign-up form giving us your permission to collect and process your personal information for the purpose of sending you such information.
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and, as permitted by law to perform credit checks, report or collect debts owed, or protect our rights or property, our site, or its users
- to measure the use of our site and to administer and improve our site.
- For example, we use clickstream data, web beacons and cookies only in the aggregate for these purposes. Any sharing of such data with unrelated third parties is on an anonymous basis. When we collect personal information, we may extract some of the information, such as demographic information and combine it with other information, such as clickstream data. This combined information is used and analyzed only at an aggregate level to help us or third parties understand trends and patterns.
- to notify you about changes to our service.
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you consent to do so, including:
- Blogs and forums: We ask each visitor who wishes to participate in blogs and forums on this site to provide an email address along with the visitor's screen name to access these functions. Except for the uses described in the paragraphs above, all such email addresses are used only to protect the security and integrity of the site, such as to take action against visitors who post inappropriate material or harass other visitors. You are responsible and are deemed to have consented to disclosure if you post your email address or other identifying information or content to a publicly viewable interactive site application such as a blog or forum
- Contests: For contests conducted on our site, we use the personal information you provide only for the purpose of contacting you if you win a prize and sending the prize to you. We do not use contact information contained in contest entries to create mailing lists or for any other purpose without your consent. All contests that are held on this site are limited to persons above a certain age. Accordingly, we ask each contestant to provide year of birth, as well as name, address, and e-mail address. If the year provided indicates that the contestant is underage, the information submitted is deleted. Please refer to the specific age requirements for each contest as rules may vary from contest to contest.
WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to the other terms of this policy, and where appropriate, we may share your personal information with the following:
- a) Group companies
Where you have consented to receive direct communications from them, we may share your personal information with our affiliated or group companies worldwide, and who may then use your personal information in accordance with this policy.
- b) Artists & artists’ representatives
Where you have consented to receive direct marketing communications, we may share your personal information with those artists (and their management companies) about whom you have requested to receive updates, who may then use your personal information, in accordance with this policy, to keep you updated with information about them.
- c) Other third parties
We may transfer, sell or assign any data, including personal information, to third parties, only in connection with the sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganization or liquidation of Sony Music Entertainment, or any part of it.
Personal information collected on this site may also be shared with service providers who perform functions on our behalf, such as those with whom we contract to host or operate this site or those with whom we contract to do promotional and marketing activities on our behalf. These contractors have agreed with us in writing to protect the confidentiality of personal information, to use personal information of site visitors only for the purposes of carrying out the operations and/or activities we specify, and not to keep the personal information after our agreement with them expires.
We may share with others, at our discretion, certain aggregate statistical data about purchases and the use of our content, which data may include demographic data such as the age range and/or geographic location of groups of users. No personal information (such as names or email addresses) will be identifiable from such statistics.
- d) In special circumstances
We may disclose personal information in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this data is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference (either intentionally or unintentionally) with the rights or property of those described above in paragraph (a) or (b). We may also disclose your personal information when we believe in good faith that the law requires us to do so.
YOUR RIGHT TO OBTAIN, CHANGE OR REMOVE YOUR INFORMATION
Wherever we rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent at any time. You can withdraw that consent by following the unsubscribe instructions in any message sent to you. If you wish to delete your account for one of our websites you can send an email to [email protected], attention: Privacy Officer.
HOW LONG IS MY INFORMATION STORED
Where we collect your personal information in connection with your registration to use our site or services, we do this for as long as your account is active and as needed to provide you services.
Where we collect personal information for marketing or other specified purposes with your consent, we process the data until you ask us to stop (and for a short period after this to allow us to implement your requests). We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you direct marketing or to process your personal information indefinitely so we can respect your request in future.
Where we collect personal data in connection with performing a contract or administering a contest, we keep the personal information as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose including complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes and enforcing our agreements.
THIRD PARTY COOKIES
Some of the advertisements on this site may be generated by third party partners. These third parties may use their own "cookies" to track how many unique users have seen, or click on, a particular advertisement. These cookies cannot be used to identify you as an individual, and are used only for statistical purposes or, for example, to provide advertisements that are more relevant to your preferences.
Sony Music Entertainment is not responsible for third party cookies, other than allowing them to be served via our websites. However, we may use statistical information arising from these third party cookies that is provided to us, if at all, by such third parties to improve the targeting of advertisements to users (see also 'How we collect your information' above).
If you wish to block third party cookies, you can do so in your browser's security settings.