At Sony Music Entertainment, we fuel the creative journey. We’ve played a pioneering role in music history, from the first-ever music label to the invention of the flat disc record. We’ve nurtured some of music’s most iconic artists and produced some of the most influential recordings of all time. Today, we work in more than 60 countries, supporting a diverse roster of international superstars, developing and independent artists, and visionary creators. From our position at the intersection of music, entertainment, and technology, we bring imagination and expertise to the newest products and platforms, embrace new business models, employ breakthrough tools, and provide powerful insights that help our artists push creative boundaries and reach new audiences. In everything we do, we’re committed to artistic integrity, transparency, and entrepreneurship. Sony Music Entertainment (SME) is a member of the Sony family of global companies.
Reporting to the Director, Media Relations, the Manager, National Media Relations will be responsible to develop, execute and communicate specific target-oriented publicity strategies for domestic and international Sony Music Artists. Plan and facilitate detailed Artist itineraries overseeing all media interviews and travel requirements. Demonstrate intense managerial capabilities and strong negotiation skills, adaptability and interpersonal situation management. The successful candidate will have strong media relationships and contacts, take an active role in liaising with and responding to requests from the media, create publicity angles by developing and pitching story ideas to appropriate media, create and supply press materials, as well writing media advisories and Artist biographies when required.
The Manager, National Media Relations will coordinate with Artist Marketing staff, Promotional Reps (National and Regional), and the A&R and Sales Divisions to develop media and artist development strategies for Sony Music Artists that will ensure timely, complete, and effective coverage. In addition, they will accompany the artist to execute in-market promo schedules making sure that media/partners are left with favourable impressions representing the record company and artist. Occasionally, the Manager, National Media Relations will travel with Journalists and Artists to facilitate the best interests of Sony Music and its Artists while on international business with the company.
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years working in media, or a directly associate field
- Successful completion of a degree/diploma in Communications, Journalism or Public Relations
- Strong writing, communication, and interpersonal skills as you will need to be comfortable interacting with international senior management and high profile clients, sometimes in high-stress situations, while maintaining a professional, positive and calm demeanor
- Exceptional people management skills, and the ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and multitask under stressful and demanding situations
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, and travel when required
- The use of discretion and the maintenance of high levels of confidentiality are absolutely required
What We Give You:
- A modern, diverse and innovative work environment
- An investment in your learning & development
- An excellent range of benefits, including health and dental group insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability plans, group RSP Pension scheme, tuition reimbursement, and EAP program
- Winter recess (office closure Christmas through New Year’s)
How to send us your information:
- Let us know why you would be the perfect candidate for this position – submit your resume and cover letter for consideration. Only those chosen for interview will be contacted. Thanks for your interest.
Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.