At Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc., we fuel the creative journey. We’ve played a pioneering role in music history, from the first-ever music label to the invention of the flat disc record. We’ve nurtured some of music’s most iconic artists and produced some of the most influential recordings of all time. Today, we work in more than 60 countries, supporting a diverse roster of international superstars, developing and independent artists, and visionary creators. From our position at the intersection of music, entertainment, and technology, we bring imagination and expertise to the newest products and platforms, embrace new business models, employ breakthrough tools, and provide powerful insights that help our artists push creative boundaries and reach new audiences. In everything we do, we’re committed to artistic integrity, transparency, and entrepreneurship. Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc. is a member of the Sony family of global companies.
This opportunity is a fourteen (14) month contract.
Sony Music Canada is looking for an exceptional professional to join the Media Relations team. The ideal candidate will be well versed in crafting strategic publicity campaigns, have proven industry and press relationships, and is able to manage cross-functional relationships across multiple internal and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have experience working in media relations and publicity with high-profile talent and management teams.
The Manager, Media Relations will
- Create, implement, and manage strategic publicity campaigns for international and domestic artists – making use of multiple earned media channels including television, print, and mainstream online outlets as well as influential social media accounts and tastemakers.
- Collaborate with Marketing, A&R, Sales, and Promotion departments in the creation of artist development strategies.
- Build and execute integrated communications plans that move the needle in a crowded and highly competitive landscape.
- Pitch and secure media coverage across Canada that is aligned with both the artist and project objectives.
- Possess a drive to innovate and show a keen interest in finding new ways of growing an artist’s profile through earned media, exhibiting sound judgement in deciding which opportunities to pursue and when.
- Demonstrate outstanding negotiation and relationship management capabilities in dealing with media, artists, management, internal teams and stakeholders.
- Exemplify excellent written communications skills required to craft pitches, media advisories, and artist biographies.
- Exhibit exceptional research skills.
The work environment is fast-paced and the ideal candidate will have the ability to inspire clear, careful, and well-communicated outcomes on a wide roster of projects in time-sensitive situations.
- Solid music/ lifestyle/ industry media and tastemaker relationships
- 7 years of experience working in the music industry, journalism, or an associated field
- Successful completion of a post graduate program in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related discipline from a recognized program
- Exceptional people management skills, and the ability to prioritize, problem solve, and multitask under stressful and demanding situations
- Strategic and cross-functional approach to campaign work
- Ability to employ big picture tactics that move campaigns forward
What We Give You
- A modern, diverse and innovative work environment
- An investment in your learning & development
- An excellent range of benefits, including health and dental group insurance, life insurance, short and long-term disability plans, group RSP Pension scheme, tuition reimbursement, and EAP program
- Winter recess (office closure Christmas through New Year’s)
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc. is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our HR team. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.