At Sony Music Entertainment, we fuel the creative journey. We’ve played a pioneering role in music history, from the first-ever music label to the invention of the flat disc record. We’ve nurtured some of music’s most iconic artists and produced some of the most influential recordings of all time. Today, we work in more than 60 countries, supporting a diverse roster of international superstars, developing and independent artists, and visionary creators. From our position at the intersection of music, entertainment, and technology, we bring imagination and expertise to the newest products and platforms, embrace new business models, employ breakthrough tools, and provide powerful insights that help our artists push creative boundaries and reach new audiences. In everything we do, we’re committed to artistic integrity, transparency, and entrepreneurship. Sony Music Entertainment (SME) is a member of the Sony family of global companies.
Reporting to the Director, A&R, the Manager, A&R will be responsible for talent scouting and overseeing the artistic development of their respective roster. The Manager is the main liaison between the artist and label, helping to guide and nurture the artist through all aspects of from signing to release, including aligning them with writers and producers, evaluating demos/songs, selecting repertoire and offering creative input. The Manager is responsible for managing the recording budget and oversees the creation of the recordings and their delivery.
Key activities include:
- Actively seeking new talent and music, which includes but is not limited to, searching through streaming services, music blogs, weekly papers, social media, industry charts, scouting tools, as well as through industry relationships and attending live shows. This includes utilizing data, insights, research, and analysis to help inform scouting efforts
- Liaising with Business Affairs to sign artists, and contract producers and mixers
- Directing the overall direction of songs from initial demo to final recording from selecting producers, mixers and mastering engineers and evaluating mixes/mastered recordings, and overseeing details of artist scheduling and travel as it pertains to A&R. The Manager will also maintain an organized audio archive including demos, DAW files, mixes, alt mixes, final recordings, and ensure information administration is accurate.
- Collaborating with marketing, promotion, and media relations on overall strategic direction and creation of other content assets including photoshoots and videos
- Minimum of 5 years working in A&R or a directly associated field
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills as you will need to be comfortable interacting with artists and managers, sometimes in high-stress situations, while maintaining a professional, positive and calm demeanor
- Exceptional people management skills, and the ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and multitask under stressful and demanding situations
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, and travel when required
- The use of discretion and the maintenance of high levels of confidentiality are absolutely required
What We Give You:
- A modern, diverse and innovative work environment
- An investment in your learning & development
- An excellent range of benefits, including health and dental group insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability plans, group RSP Pension scheme, tuition reimbursement, and EAP program
- Winter recess (office closure Christmas through New Year’s)
How to send us your information:
- Let us know why you would be the perfect candidate for this position – submit your resume and cover letter for consideration. Only those chosen for interview will be contacted.
Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.