At Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc., we fuel the creative journey. We have played a pioneering role in music history, from the first-ever music label to the invention of the flat disc record. We have nurtured some of music’s most iconic artists and produced some of the most influential recordings of all time. Today, we work in more than 60 countries, supporting a diverse roster of international superstars, developing and independent artists, and visionary creators. From our position at the intersection of music, entertainment, and technology, we bring imagination and expertise to the newest products and platforms, embrace new business models, employ breakthrough tools, and provide powerful insights that help our artists push creative boundaries and reach new audiences. In everything we do, we are committed to artistic integrity, transparency, and entrepreneurship. Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc. is a member of the Sony family of global companies.
Reports to: Senior Manager, Artist Marketing
Direct Reports: No
Salary Grade: 31
Salary Range: $64,000 to $80,000 CDN
As a Manager, Artist Marketing you will play a key role in being immersed in the world of marketing and aware of current trends, insights and data to support creative and strategic direction. You will have a solid grasp of project management and be recognized as a highly motivated team player with effective interpersonal skills.
The Manager, Artist Marketing will:
- Responsible for ensuring the day-to-day adherence of departmental process and procedures.
- Correspond and report marketing plans, track/album performance, artist activities, growth trends and opportunities to support International repertoire owners within the global Sony Music system and domestic artist roster assignments.
- Maintain relationships with key personnel at booking agencies, promotional partners, lifestyle accounts and activation agencies.
- Well versed in marketing trends within all genres of music, levels of artists and aware of different demographics/fanbases.
- Manage and maintain marketing budgets based off forecast/revenue for each assigned project.
- Sourced/submit grant applications for assigned Canadian roster as needed.
- Serve as a team player and leader, devising and implementing creative and effective marketing campaigns while targeting artist fanbase.
- Responsible for planning campaigns across priority artists that will engage and grow audiences while driving music consumption.
- Effective communication of project timelines and deliverables with A&R, Media Relations and Partner Development through advertising and promotional campaigns, financial and P&L’s, overall revenue objective for the artist project.
- Build strong relationships with artists and artist management.
- Create marketing tools and content to advertise the release of products developed by A&R and International labels.
- Administer and track each project’s marketing spends & events, as well as the impact on engagement & revenue through digital, physical, merchandise, and sync.
- Coordinate with artist management and creative services to facilitate delivery of social assets, content, advertising and marketing tools on time and in line with specifications on assigned repertoire.
- Coordinate with A&R and Operations to manage release setup to ensure the production process stays on schedule.
- Liaise with all teams, including creative, advertising, sales, legal, and finance to ensure the entire company is on board and contributing to each release.
- Representing SMEC in meetings, at shows, and on calls with artist management and bands/brands.
- Work together with Artist Strategy team to generate digital traffic, increase fan base (subscribers/followers) in social media and streaming platforms, online and mobile PR, etc.
- Strategize and manage priority release campaign logistics from inception to completion, working with other internal departments.
- Optimize new release and catalog strategy at both artist and label level.
- Coordinate with the A&R team to identify and approach new artist and manager targets.
- Work on ad hoc projects related to all marketing projects as needed.
- Constantly keeping an ear to the ground for new artists and keeping up with trends as they emerge.
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma in Marketing or Business Marketing-related field is an asset.
- 4-6 years of Artist Marketing related experience and working knowledge of Digital Media platforms and trends.
- Experience with major social platforms and DSP landscape.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to perform work with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and be a self-starter.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to take the initiative, problem solve and multi-task.
- Passionate about music and a deep knowledge of the music scene in Canada, with a willingness to attend industry events and shows.
What We Give You
- A modern, diverse, and innovative work environment.
- An investment in your learning & development.
- An excellent range of benefits, including health and dental group insurance, life insurance, short and long- term disability plans, group RSP Pension scheme, tuition reimbursement, an EAP program, Health and Lifestyle Benefit Plan.
- Winter recess (office closure Christmas through New Year’s).
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sony Music Entertainment Canada, Inc. is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our People Experience team. Reasonable accommodation will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.